Has Saranac expanded yet again from their original band of a dozen or so? It would seem so. The following press release invites you to the new Group Show. 

This should prove to be visually very diverse and funny on many levels. I lifted some images from Jon Merrell's blog, Funderachiever. You can see the Scott Kolbo connection. Awesome illustration style. 








And Margot and Kurt have been showing at Tinman off and on for a long time. Their piece for last year's OZvitational was one of my favorites.
 



Margot Casstevens . I think making art is a little like being a research scientist or a philosopher or maybe a hermetic mystic. It's about really looking at the world, seeing it and trying to understand. It's about all those
questions we have as small children or as adults at three in the morning when the stars wake us up shouting through the window: who are we, why are we here, what's it all about, and what's that really cool weird thing in the ditch anyway?

Kurt Madison. Kurt has been designing, working and exhibiting in the fine arts field for 30+ years. While the work has mainly been focused on 3 dimensional directions, his work includes digital and traditional 2D methods as well. Much of the work is multimedia using a variety of materials and techniques tailored to the intent and content of the piece. As a body, the work is an ongoing, chaptered commentary, holding 'the Condition' up for scrutiny like still shots or cuts or framing in cinema. Now this, now this, now this, now this, now this, now this, ..., ..., ..., now this.

Jon Merrell. After some deliberation, I cannot say for certain that I have ever produced art in a serious way. It is usually after I stop thinking about art in serious terms that I finally begin to get some satisfaction out of creating it. That being said, viewers are encouraged to examine their own expectations on reading this statement and viewing these images. My intent is rarely to communicate an important message or lesson. Viewers intent on wrapping their heads around some abstract concept, deciphering some radical hidden social agenda, or pontificating on some metaphysical truth perceived to be expressed through the imagery, should prepare for disappointment. I am a simpleton, easily amused by the mundane. I enjoy creating these things, and I display them with the sincere hope of witnessing dumbfounded expressions as viewers awkwardly attempt to ascribe them meaning.

Lindsey Merrell. There is exquisite variation, peculiarity, and amusement in life. My works are printed snippets of the day-to-day, both real and imagined. Inventive offshoots of reality juxtapose literal translations of daily interactions. By isolating moments, connections and variations on the truth, I process life through the printing press. My brief and partial narratives enlarge and examine specific moments and emotions, allowing each viewer to create and pursue a story based on his or her previous experiences and current assumptions. The take-away is different every time. Incorporating handmade elements into each piece, I further examine the idea of unique contact by displaying the ever-changing interactions between my hand and the prints.I primarily work in the medium of intaglio printmaking. I enjoy the process (most days…) involved in transferring drawing or photographic images to copper, etching them, and working by hand to remove and add marks on the copper plate, similar to adding and removing charcoal from a drawing. I also enjoy the diverse options presented by printmaking. One etched copper plate can produce as many images as the artist designs. Emotion and setting can be adjusted through placement, use of color, and added texture. This process seems especially fitting to my current subject matter: common, repeatable objects that make sense in different settings. My most recent images also incorporate monoprinting, watercolor and drawing materials. I hope to continue working in the format of a series, creating interesting individual pieces that become more lively and emotionally rich when seen together.

Alyssa Skiles
 
(no info available)




Reception: June 4
Runs through June 30


Saranac Art Projects, W 25 Main Street, Spokane, WA 99201

Gallery Hours: Thursday 12-5pm, Friday 12-8pm. Saturday 12-5pm. [publisher's note: CALL to confirm the gallery will be open]



0 comments: