I'm not a big fan of really abstract stuff, nor am I likely to get excited about colorfield work. But this is an exhibition I'd like to experience, surprisingly just based on this image (Music to My Ears) I received from Spokane Arts Commission.

There is more at work here than just color and shape; it feels strangely narrative. What intrigues me about this art--any art in fact--is when it feels like it is more than it appears. By that I mean that the artwork operates on several levels, such as close up versus far away, or both familiar and foreign. I'm drawn to that in-between-ness or sense of otherworldiness in some works, such as this one.

The Chase Gallery is located in City Hall at 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. in Spokane.  An artist reception will be held in conjunction with Visual Arts Tour, on Friday, October 1, 5pm to 8pm. Gallery hours are Monday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

0 comments: