I can still remember when modern furniture--sleek chrome, black leather, monochromatic color schemes--fascinated me. There was something so refined, so pure about the aesthetic. And something so utterly distant from how I actually viewed the world and how, it would turn out, I would shape my world through my art.

That nostalgic fondness for something high-level and utterly modern is what attracts me to Iole Alessandrinin and Ed Mannery's exhibition “As the Camera Sees It” at Prichard Art Gallery, University of Idaho. They're wizards with technology, literally conjuring form from nowhere using light, camera, and action.

As seen from the Soil Gallery's exhibition, Alessandri also works with narrative, which appeals to me, in the sense that there is an implicit event in her light and magic show. And Mannery is just plain out-here (in a good way) with stellar experience in..stars, actually: he was chief engineer for University of Washington's Apache Point telescope project. How cool does that sound?

Iole Alessandrini (SOIL Gallery)

The Prichard Art Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  The gallery is closed Monday. The gallery, an outreach facility of the University of Idaho, is located at 414/416 S. Main St., on the corner of Fifth and Main streets in downtown Moscow.

Admission is free. Additional information is available at www.uidaho.edu/galleries.

0 comments: